Best cucumber dish!
Cucumbers are one of the most popular crops for the home gardener. Just one single plant in a 14–inch pot, or taking up 12 square inches of your yard, can yield enough cucumbers for a family to enjoy many summer salads. One or two extra plants will yield you enough to indulge in rich and yummy cucumber soup on a regular basis! And if you don’t like to grow your own—don’t worry! Cucumbers are abundant at produce stands and supermarkets, and very inexpensive vegetables to boot!
Making a soup out of cucumbers can be a nice alternative to salad and a refreshing meal for a warm day. The pleasant color and creamy flavor make it a hit for entertaining as well.
The best part about cucumber soup is you don’t even need a stove! You can make it right in the blender for fresh and healthy food!
Prep time: 5 min
Ready in: 5 min
Yields: Serves 4
- 4 large cucumbers
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
Chilled cucumber soup Instructions
- Get fresh cucumbers that are firm and green, with no soft spots or bruises. Peel the cucumbers and remove the seeds. If you get seedless cucumbers, you can save that step. Chop them up coarsely and put them into the blender.
- Add yogurt, mustard and mint leave to the blender. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper—be conservative now, but you can add more later to suit your taste.
- Blend on puree until you achieve the desired consistency—smooth or chunky, it’s up to you.
- Pour it into a bowl and eat it right away, or chill it in the refrigerator if you desire. Top with some finely sliced scallions as a garnish for flavor.
This soup is a winner!
Chilled cucumber soup is just one of countless cucumber recipes that you can choose to adjust to your own flavor. Instead of mustard, try horseradish or tartar sauce for a bit of flavoring. Instead of mint, try parsley, basil, dill, or any mixture of the herbs. Instead of yogurt you can use sour cream, or add a mixture of yogurt and sour cream. Add more or less to make your soup thinner or thicker as you desire. You can even opt for low-fat yogurt or sour cream to keep the soup on track with your calorie count.
The nutrients found in every fresh cucumber can be best utilized when it is taken right after it has been picked from the garden. This assures us of complete nourishment. Cucumber soup is enriched with iron and other essential minerals that are good for the body. Iron is an essential mineral that helps maintain the integrity of the blood and for its proper distribution in the body. Thanks to the yogurt or sour cream, one bowl of soup are the equivalent of a full day’s supply of calcium that your body needs of your body.
For a healthier you, chilled cucumber soup is delicious, fast, easy, and inexpensive to prepare, so there’s no excuse not to enjoy a healthy meal! Dig in without the guilt!